Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pizza

In between my art and horses, and goats, and garden, I try to make time to cook something decent.   I used to like those canned or boxed 'foods', but eww, not anymore.   I've spoiled myself with the good stuff! 

Take bread.   Staff of Life and all that.   The stuff in the store is both dreadful expensive and yet, not very good.   The store brand cheaper stuff is just nasty, fluff, and sticks to my front teeth.  The other, I still can't read most of what's in it, and why does it last sooo long?   I find food that doesn't spoil, well, odd. 

So several years ago I started buying those frozen loaves.  ok, not great, but better.   I swore I can't make bread!   Then I was encouraged to do so by a few of my friends.  Lo and behold!  I created BREAD!   oh boy!   Now I make all sorts of bread, and most recently found flatbread.   I am lovin the flatbread!   It has no yeast either, I think I like that.  Takes all of *maybe* half hour to make 12 pieces.  Great for sandwiches, and....PIZZAS!
This my friends, is no ordinary pizza.   I have goats, remember?   I make cheese.  Gooey, stringy mozzarella.   so this, is a goat cheese, hamburger (ranch raised) and fresh garden tomato, pizza.    I did buy the 'shrooms.   But, its pretty satisfying to make something like this, from scratch, and is was tasty!!   In case you'd like to try flatbread, here's the recipe.   Its so incredibly simple!! 
3cups flour (I use unbleached, unbromated or white whole wheat, or combo of)
2tsp salt
2stp baking powder
1 pinch baking soda
3T. shortening (I use only my own rendered lard for anything calling for shortening)
mix all this with a fork, then add...
1c. water.    mix with the fork, might need to add a touch more water, til its not dry but not sticky.   knead a short time, roll into a loose roll shape, cut into 10-12 pieces.
(*note...recipe said 4 pieces, but that would make these things soo heavy and thick.   I find 10-12 pieces yields large enough breads without being overly thick.)

roll out onto cutting board with flour, into a circle or I do ovals.   I roll very thin!   pierce with fork and plop down onto a hot pan on the stove.  no oil needed.   it will begin to bubble a bit, turn and brown each side.   (I roll my next one while its cooking).    place it aside when done, til all the dough is used.  I kinda place them around the cutting board, then when done, they're pretty much cool and put them into a baggie. 

At first, they seem too dry/crispy.   they will soften up.   these things are great for just as a sandwich bread, eating fresh out of the pan and hot, and for pizzas!   This would've been a bread I would've liked to make back when I couldn't, anyone truly can make this.    In the store, a package of 6 flatbreads is $3.   I would guess maybe $1 for a dozen, and without the icky stuff added.    enjoy!  

No comments: