Saturday, November 1, 2014

Black Hills Ride


A few posts ago I mentioned a horse event and I'd like to share that with you now.   I have always loved to ride, and I tried different things like roping, barrels, and trails.   The trails won out, hands (or hoofs?) down.   My mom had me riding for miles and miles since I was little and its that kind of riding I still like best.  In fact, I seldom do anything other, except round up cows now and then.  

So it seems pretty natural that endurance riding has always appealed to me too.   Going long distances, on one horse, in a certain amount of time.   How I've drooled over the idea!!!   For years now!    But it seemed out of reach by now, and that was sad to me. 

I thought though, I could buy one of those nifty lightweight saddles.   So I did.  And it was good.   Then I thought, hmm, how bout one of those classy breast plates and a sweet little hackamore?   oh yes, I got those too, and it was better yet.   hmm.   Now I am thinking, maybe I can just go watch an endurance race, help out a bit?    Or, better yet, try it?!  Did I dare?   My horse isn't one of those streamlined Arabian beauties, but rather a big ol lug of a quarter horse.   So after MUCH encouragement from friends and family, I signed up.   And it was GREAT!!    I laughed, I cried, and I slept in the rain.   And I can't wait to try it again!

 The open area where we camped,
 we're in the middle there.
  My neighbors were some awesome 
gals who were helpful and fun.



Just ridin down the trail on ol' Copper....best view in the world!

the vet check area

No comments: