Friday, May 30, 2014

Shipping an Unframed Painting

The only thing pastel is difficult with is, until its framed properly, its easily smeared.    But sometimes a client would rather see the painting and frame it themselves once it arrives at their home.    So, that leaves an issue to ship it without the protection of glass, and here's how I shipped Fizz out last weekend.
This is a painting 'booklet'.   I used a piece of acid free mat, from the middle of a previously cut large mat, and taped the painting down.  Over top the painting, I taped a piece of tracing paper, on all 4 sides as its the side to side that causes issues.   Then a piece of acid free foam board on top, using tape as hinges to make a book.

On the front of the 'book', I wrote directions on how to open it, and attached my business card.   I also wrote my name and phone number for the framer if there are any questions.  I also advised to not spray it with fixative as it very well may darken the painting, and this one in particular would be ruined without those brilliant light areas!

This book then gets wrapped in plastic bags, sealed with tape, into a priority box and sent off to the new owner.    
I am showing how it might look in a wide cherry frame, using spacers and no mats.   I am leaning towards this look more often, using glare-free glass, so the painting can be hung anywhere in a home without loosing it to glare.   I think it also brings out the texture of the pastel strokes, and the colors.   



No comments: