Friday, April 1, 2016

In the Beginning.....

....there was snow.  April 1st and I awoke to a white world.   And the excitement of today is the day!  The day I start my first 30/30.   Thirty paintings in 30 days.   This has been done by many others, and I thought its time I give it a go myself.

Because the task is a fairly hefty undertaking, the paintings are often small, as mine will also be.  But, there are lots of good things that  painting small can deliver.   First of all, you can start and finish in one day, usually in one setting.  That's really nice, since sometimes the very idea of getting to the studio is hard;  its like its overwhelming, even tho that is just what I want to do. 

For today, I used a 5x7 brick red Richardson paper.  Not sure about this stuff, it has lots of grit to grab pastel, but almost too 'big' of grit, like small rocks.  As I worked tho I found some ways to use that in my favor. I did love the red color, and look forward to painting something greener on a piece later on.

I will post my progress both here and on my facebook page, at least for now.   I may not post daily, but at least a couple times per week.  Join me!  I am not big into rules, so I dont' have any for this self imposed assignment, only to paint something daily, something small, and something just for me.   They will be for sale, but the subjects will be things I've had in mind for ages.  Some may be used for ideas for a larger painting, most probably won't.   Sizes will vary, and I will share some insights of what I am learning as I go.
The start of my first entry in my 30/30.   Blocked in the darks and lights.

Completed!  I see I'm going to have to improve my camera skills, as its not quite true to color. 

No comments: