Friday, January 12, 2018

Dang, its cold!

"Winter Ride"   6x8 pastel    $45 unframed
One good thing about the cold is I get stuff done inside.   But sometimes, I just gotta get out for a bit regardless.   My daughter and I went for a short horse ride the other day and altho the temps were fairly warm, the wind slapped us hard!   So it was a short ride, but that sky!  

I snapped a photo and while sipping hot tea and snug in my studio, I painted it.   Its not a plein air (painted from life outdoors), but I think I caught that same feel as it was fresh in my mind and I worked quickly, so as not to dilly dally over details.

Its small as I have other commission work to do, but I felt I needed to get my artistic mojo going first.   I used a piece of paper I'd done color swatches on previously, and used alcohol to just blend them all together, making a deep purple underpainting.  Perfect for painting snow and cold winter skies! 

No comments: