Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Days are getting shorter

Here's where I went riding the other day.  Lovely little spot, isn't it?
It was so pretty and peaceful.   I loved how the shadow areas were so blue!   I decided to snap a shot of it and paint it in studio.   I used a piece of Uart paper, 500g.   I used a nice warm red-brown under painting as I was planning for those cooler blues on top, and thought the warm under cool would pop.   The rusty tones also helped out with all those greens, which can be problematic in summer.


As for the composition, I had to be sure the road didn't fling the viewer out, so I made the grasses a bit taller at the upper right to keep the eye in the painting, going back to the treeline and the larger, main tree.   This is a little painting, only 8x10, I often find those a lot of fun as I can do them in one go, and not lose my excitement.    

I am experimenting with leaving a bit of the surfaces a tad 'unfinished', and I'm liking that.   I like the sketchy feeling of that.   I dont' want my work to look 'like a photo'.  (especially one of my photos! ekk!)   And I also then can allow some of my under painting work to show, which is nice contrasting against the more finished areas. 

This little gem is not yet framed, but is offered for sale at $100.   Framing available however, should you want to bring her home ready to hang!

No comments: