Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Rena's Ready!

This mare is a real lovely lady from Minnesota.  Her name is Rena and her owner is Deb, and they do long distance riding.   Deb sent me photos to work from and with those and her input, I created this portrait.   Its 16x20 on dark brown sanded paper. 

Here's the block in---The outline is there, the highlights are there, and a hint of the background.   Just to mention, this is the second time I started this.  The first start was all wrong.  and I just couldn't ignore it and move on, it had to get fixed.   So I washed it down with mineral spirits, creating part of the dark background Deb had asked for.   then re-sketched Rena and this time, it was right. 

here's a close up of her lovely deep eyes.   IRL (in real life) the eye is much more dark, guess I'll never make a good photographer!   
 The finished Rena, and will be on her way to Deb very soon! 

No comments: