Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Have a Cow!

A friend called a few weeks ago with a request...paint her mom's favorite cow for her birthday.   We didn't have much time, but I was sure I could do it, and she'd already had photos emailed to me.  

I chose to use Uart paper again, its my fav!   I used 600 grit, and cut a piece a bit larger than 20x24ish, the size the client thought would be best.

I have never painted a cow portrait before!   I've painted cows in a distant herd and in a corral behind a main subject of horse and rider but never as a center stage star!   But, all painting is the same basically--you paint what you see; focusing on the lights, darks and textures.  

Norma Jean    20x20 on Uart600  pastel   Sold
Behold Norma Jean!   This was a ton of fun.   The wayward fuzzies on the top of her noggin where the best.   Client wanted a background of simply South Dakota scenery.

The giftee was most pleased!   I was invited to the party where it was presented, which was great fun as I usually dont' get to see that part.   That, to me, is some of the fun--I get to be part of a really great gift, surprise, or making of an instant heirloom.   I am always honored when I am chosen to be involved. 

No comments: