Sunday, December 14, 2014

mounting pastel paper

Hello!   I am not able to show what I'm working on, as they are Christmas gifts and I'm not going to be the one who blows the surprise!   But, I thought today would be a good time to post how I mount sanded paper to a support board. 

Mounting it isn't something that has to be done, as sanded papers are usually heavy enough to stand alone.  I get mine in rolls, which lead to the problem of curled paper.  Not good!   I am currently using UART in 600 grit, and I very much like this paper.  Has lots of grit but doesn't seem to eat my pastels as badly as papers with heavier grit.   It handles wet underpainting well and getting a roll was more economical than sheets.   And, its just fun to have a half acre of paper, just waiting for me! 

First, figure out what you want to mount to.  I won't use products that aren't acid free, so I won't mention that at every turn today, just know, its all acid free.   So that said, you can use foam board, mat board, or mount board.   I chose foam board today.   I also chose to use grafix double tack film.   I also got my brayer and some black tape.

This piece will be 16x20, so I cut my UART to a size a bit larger, so I have space to scribble, try out colors, edges of sticks, etc.  I must have scribble space!   Then I cut the tack film to size of the UART, and the foam board is a tad larger on all sides.    I start by making pencil lines where the paper will go, then peel up one corner of the tack film, (its got slick papers on either side of the film). and smooth-smooth-smooth all the way across the foam board, rubbing with my hand, only peeling as much as I can smooth at one time.   At this point, I have a foam board with a tacky sheet on it, with a slick sheet still on top.   I now peel the top slick sheet, just a corner, and line up the UART and start peeling and rubbing down just like before.   Ta-da!   A mounted piece of sanded paper.

Next, I have started using that black tape to mark my borders.   It makes it easier for me to judge the composition this way, otherwise I seem to just keep going, then when I trim the paper to frame later, sometimes the design suffers as I now have cut off part of the painting.    This black tape fixes that problem.   I can take it off or leave it as its acid free.   (yes, I said it again!)   I run the tape about 1/4 inch outside my border.   
Ready to paint!    I put it on my main easel, using some cheapo (not acid free!) wide masking tape at the top corners, and a small clamp at the bottom.   The large white board is my drawing board, I made that with foam board on top of luan board, then painted it with floor finish poly so tape won't rip it.   I did this so I dont' have to keep adjusting my easel height--now I just tape/clip where I want the paper.  and sometimes I work big enough to cover that whole drawing board.   I also like my little quotes where I can see them.    Have a Great week!

No comments: