Sunday, December 28, 2014

on a roll with Tootsie

Now that the paintings have all been gifted, I can show them here.   This first is Tootsie, an elderly mare who was dearly loved.  Sadly she had to be put down this fall due to her failing health, but first I was asked to take photos for a painting.   This old gal did not want me around, no way, no how!   But I got in enough photos to work with, and with a couple from her younger days, was able to complete the portrait.    Once I started the painting I just couldn't put it down, and stayed up half the night, I was on a (Tootsie) roll!  
Tootsie, 18x24 pastel on uart600.    
Here is the start, you can sort of make out that Tootsie had some old-horse saggy lips, which I 'fixed'.   she also had some loss of muscle tone, also fixed.    I put in the darks first, and washed them in with alcohol.  
Now I started adding local color.   I use all manner of pastels, really couldn't say exactly which were used.    I do have that black tape on the paper, to keep me blocked in, else I wander too much.    And this is where I got so involved, I simply forgot everything and just painted til the painting was done, and I was burned out.  

I hope this little demo has at least been interesting if not helpful!  If you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: