Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Beautiful Light

On Sunday, I went for a drive.  That evening had some beautiful light bouncing around, like the air was shimmering with gold.    I am collecting some extra photos, just in case winter is long!   

As I was creeping along a gravel road, I stopped at this hay field, the light was amazing!   Then I just couldn't wait, I grabbed my french easel out of the car and set up.

I used a piece of Uart toned a very bright warm yellow.   I didn't have my 'extras' bag, so no other tools than pastels; no sketchbook, no way to do an under layer of any sort.  Plus the light was not going to be there for long, the race was on! 

I worked small, around 6x9ish, and went with very bold color, laying it down without a lot of layering, which is what I normally do.  

I worked until I was 90% done, then the light was gone, and it was time to get off the road.   I laid in the darker purple-blues in the foreground when I got home, taking a minute at the location to try and take a very detailed mental image, even choosing which stick I'd try once I got home.   The play on light and color between that deep shadowed area and quickly going into the intensely bright lemon greens is what made me screech to a stop.

I am pleased with the results, what do you think?  

No comments: